Virtual Launch | Realizing Women’s Rights to Land and Other Productive ResourcesGo to Video
Women’s secure access to land and resources supports their independence and autonomy, provides for their day-to-day needs and those of their families and allows them to weather some of life’s most difficult challenges.
Women’s rights to land and other productive resources are essential to realizing gender equality and the enjoyment of various human rights. Advancing women’s land rights is an integral part of the gender-responsive implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The second edition of Realizing Women’s Rights to Land and Other Productive Resources, co-published by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women), aims to support laws, policies and programmes necessary to respect, protect and fulfil women’s rights in land governance.
OHCHR and UN Women will co-host a virtual launch of the publication with experts and practitioners discussing:
- Significance of women’s human rights in land governance and their relevance for attainment of the SDGs
- Urgency to realize women’s rights to land in the face of pressing global threats
- Lessons learnt from efforts to support women’s land rights and tenure security
Moderator: Seemin Qayum, Economic Empowerment Section, UN Women, New York
Opening remarks: Veronica Birga, Women’s Rights and Gender Section, OHCHR, Geneva
- Michael Windfuhr, member of the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
- Andrea Nuila, FIAN International
- PrayGod Harry Shao, Government of the United Republic of Tanzania
- Ptricia Chaveas, Espaço Feminista, Brazil
- Mika Kanervavuori, OHCHR Guatemala Office
Recording Passcode: vf?96v0N