Cartoon Competition, Empower Women Persona: Bring it to Life!
UN Women's Empower Women (EW) is organizing a drawing/design/cartoon competition to find the Empower Women persona. The Competition is part of the redesign of the EW website (www.EmpowerWomen.org) that will celebrate EW's evolution from a content aggregator to a movement for women’s economic empowerment growing in many regions around the world.
ABOUT EMPOWER WOMEN
Empower Women is dedicated to empowering women to achieve their full economic potential by inspiring both women and men to become advocates, change makers and leaders in their community. We equip them with resources, opportunities and a global platform that facilitates networking, learning and sharing of experiences.
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
We invite you to picture the EW persona. Show us what comes to your mind when you think of an empowered girl and/or woman. Get familiar with EmpowerWomen.org, the community and the resources we make available, and learn about our vision and mission. Get familiar with the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (particularly the critical area of concern "Women and the Economy") adopted in 1995 and the Convention on the Elimination of All forms of Discriminations against Women. Seek inspiration for your drawings in the 7 Women’s Empowerment Principles:
- Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality
- Treat all women and men fairly at work - respect and support human rights and nondiscrimination.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers
- Promote education, training and professional development for women
- Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women
- Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy
- Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality
The competition is open to all cartoonists, graphic designers and artists from any field including students. If you are younger than 18, you must submit a signed parental consent form along with your drawing/design/cartoon(s).
Interested participants must register to EmpowerWomen.org by 11:59 pm (EST) on 28 February. Please note that we are currently in content freeze mode, thus we welcome registrations through this Google Form. With the information submitted through this form, the Empower Women Team will facilitate the creation of participants’ profiles.
In order for their submissions to be considered, all participants must have created a profile on EmpowerWomen.org before 18 February or filled out the Google Form after 18 February. Submissions without a complete profile or registration by 11:59 (EST) on 28 February will not be taken into account.
EW embraces the principle of design for all in its knowledge products, which means that all designs used in its publications are relatable and can inspire and be perceived by global audiences regardless of their age, gender and/or cultural background. EW strongly encourages all participants to embrace a design for all principle in their submissions.
The persona will appear in different publications associated with Empower Women, including social media kits, best practices and informational, promotional and professional development materials.
The following rules apply to your drawing/design/cartoon:
- Your drawing/design/cartoon must be without words.
- You may submit your cartoon as a series (maximum of six boxes and fitting on a DIN A4 page: 210 mm x 287mm), but you must specify who is the EW persona.
- Your cartoon shall not contain specificities to a particular country). It must be relatable to global audiences.
All drawing/design/cartoon(s) must be original, unpublished and must not have been submitted to other competitions.
- The file size must not exceed 5 MB. File formats: .jpeg, .png, .pdf; preferably in web safe RGB colors.
- The image should have a high ppi (150 or higher)
- If the cartoon was designed/draw by more than one individual, please include all credits.
- All submissions must include the following table:
Date of Birth:
Country of Residence:
Description EW Persona:
- All personas must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (EST) on 28 February 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: EW Persona Competition.
NOTE: Remember that in order for your submissions to be considered you must have created an account on EmpowerWomen.org before 18 February or fill out the Google Form after 18 February.
Finalists will be selected by a jury composed of professional artists, gender equality experts and communication experts.
The 10 highest ranked submissions to pass the committee review will be subject to an open review via Empower Women Facebook page from 4 - 13 March 2016 to determine the top 5 selections. The final decision will made by the reviewing committee. Awards goes as follow:
- First Place: Public on Empower Women website and Newsletter. An Empower Women T-shirt and a UN Women Certificate of Outstanding Achievement. Your work will also be showcased through social media channels and used in many of our publications.
- Second Place: Your work will be showcased in Empower Women website and social media channels, and you will received an Empower Women T-shirt.
- Third Places (3): Your work will also be showcased in Empower Women website.
- Sign up to EmpowerWomen.org (for free), and fully complete your profile by 11:59 pm (EST) 18 February 2016.
- If you missed this deadline, complete this Google Form registration by 11:59 (EST) 28 February 2016. This form will serve to create your profile once our website is back up and running on 8 March 2016.
- All designs must be submitted via email to: email@example.com by 11:59 pm (EST) on 28 February, 2016. Make sure to use EW Persona Competition as subject of your email.
- Announcement of Top 10 designs by the review committee on 4 March 2016.
- Vote (like) for your favorite persona on Facebook starts 4 - 13 March 2016.
- Deadline for Audience Voting: 13 March 2016
- Winner public announcement on 16 - 17 March during the 60th Session of the Commission of the Status of Women.
For further inquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to write 'Cartoon Competition Inquiry' as the subject of your email.